Written By : Health Advisory, October 27, 2015
On the afternoon of October 22nd, at least six students at Pinole Valley High School ingested a beverage that reportedly contained the prescription drug Xanax, a controlled substance used as a sedative. Several of the students reportedly became ill, with symptoms of overdose. 911 Emergency Medical Services responded. Five of the students were transported to local area hospitals.
This Health Advisory is being issued to bring attention to the extreme hazards and risk associated with the misuse of prescription medication. No one should accept or consume any medication that is not prescribed specifically for them.
Earlier this week, the San Francisco Department of Public Health issued a similar advisory associated with 4 individuals who reportedly consumed “Xanax” purchased off the street. In that situation, the product was laced with Fentanyl, a powerful Opioid that can cause severe drug intoxication, leading to death.
At this time, it is uncertain whether there is any association between these two events. However, these incidents serve to heighten concern about the misuse of prescription medication, the very real possibility of overdose and the worry that counterfeit or laced products may be circulating in the Bay Area.
Parents, school officials, students and medical professionals are advised to be aware of these risks and to report concerns to local public health and law enforcement as appropriate. Inform your children, your students and your patients NOT to purchase or consume any medication or substance provided from friends, acquaintances or strangers.
At this time, at least one Pinole Valley High student remains hospitalized.
Individuals seeking assistance with drug abuse treatment can contact 1-800-846-1652, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.