My husband and I are following plant based diet. This is a diet that I am familiar with as I grew up eating vegetables and less meat. An easy diet to follow:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or yellow pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- ½ –1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded and finely diced (add more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned fire-roasted, liquid reserved)
- 1½ cup black beans (or 1 15-ounce can), rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or other pure, mild chili powder)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat a deep, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown.
Add the pepper, jalapeño, and garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes. If it becomes too dry, add a little vegetable broth or reserved tomato juice.
Check the flavor, and add salt and additional seasonings to taste.