From Kaiser Permanente
Red, white, and blueberry magic “Ice cream”
We took our ever-popular Frozen banana whip recipe and added a patriotic twist. Simply adding strawberries and blueberries yields fun colors you can layer on top of one another for a dessert that’s perfect for your Fourth of July BBQ. The sweetness from the ripe bananas, in-season strawberries, and blueberries is enough to satisfy any sweet tooth, making this a truly guilt-free treat. You can either buy packaged frozen strawberries and blueberries, or buy fresh during peak season (as in now!) and freeze them yourself.
Fun fact: The pectin in bananas is the magic ingredient behind the creaminess (which as you’ll recall, is also the same trick behind this Creamless creamy cauliflower soup).
Servings: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 5 bananas
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, chopped (about one basket)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (optional)
- Peel bananas and cut into 1/2 inch coins. Place in an airtight container and freeze overnight.
- Place bananas into a blender or a good food processor. Blend until smooth, light and airy, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add almond milk (optional) for easier blending.
- Divide mixture into three equal parts, leaving 1/3 in the blender. Transfer the rest into separate freezer-safe containers and place in the freezer while you continue to work.
- Add frozen strawberries to the blender, turn it back on and watch your mixture turn pink. Transfer to a separate freezer-safe container and place in the freezer.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of the mixture, this time adding blueberries. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes to ensure all colors have the same consistency and firmness.
- Carefully layer spoonfuls of each color in a glass, each layer filling up about 1/3 of the glass.
- Top with blueberries if desired.
Pro tip: To enjoy this as a smoothie, simply add more almond milk while blending.
Nutrition information (for 6 servings)
- Calories: 107
- Total fat: 0 g
- Saturated fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 27 g
- Dietary fiber: 4 g
- Sugars: 15 g
- Protein: 1 g
Note: Nutrition information calculations do not include almond milk.