(Recipe courtesy: Purushottam Shetty. T
1 tbsp – Coriander seeds
1/2 tbsp – Sesame seeds
1/4 tbsp – Cumin seeds
4-5 – Peppercorns
1/2 tsp – Methi seeds
2 – Garlic cloves
1/2 – Coconut, grated
2 – Onions, finely sliced
10-12 – Dried red chillies
1 tsp – Turmeric powder
2 tsp – Ghee
1kg – Chicken, with bone, clean and cut into medium-sized pieces
Milk of 1 coconut
1 – Onion, finely sliced
1/2 – Tomato, finely diced
Some curry leaves
1 tbsp – Coconut oil
Salt to taste
Step 1: Prepare the Masala
* In a pan, put some coconut oil and add all the ingredients.
* Toast on medium flame for 4-5 minutes, mixing them so that they don’t burn, and roast evenly. Remove the roasted ingredients from the pan and set them aside.
* In the same pan, add the ghee, sliced onions and tomato, and sauté for 3 minutes.
* Add the grated coconut, turmeric powder and curry leaves, and sauté for 5 minutes. Turn off flame and cool.
* Then, put the mixture in a grinder along with the toasted masala prepared and grind them until a smooth thick paste is formed (adding water from time to time).
* In a separate pan, put some coconut oil, add the sliced onions and tomato and fry until golden brown.
* Add the chicken and cook on high for 5 minutes.
* Reduce the flame, place the lid and cook for an additional 9-10 minutes, mixing well once in a while.
* Add the masala prepared in Step 1, salt, curry leaves and mix well. Place lid and cook on medium flame for 8-10 minutes.
* Add 3-4 cups of water and cook on high flame for 2 minutes. Reduce the flame, place lid and simmer till chicken is cooked.
* Before turning off the flame, add the coconut milk and mix well. Remove to a serving bowl.