Happy New Year 2018!
A mesmerising display of multi-coloured fireworks broke out over Victoria Harbour to the sound of Auld Lang Syne sung in English and Chinese.
Joining the celebration, party-goers in North Korean capital Pyongyang were pictured watching as the clocks struck midnight, followed by fireworks over the Juche Tower monument.
Fireworks illuminate the city’s skyline during New Year’s Eve celebrations in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
New Year’s Eve: Celebrations in Beijing sprung up outside the Forbidden City
New Year’s Eve: Revellers in Tokyo, Japan, opted out for more traditional celebration
New Year’s Eve: Australia celebrated with a colourful rainbow form Sydney Harbour Bridge
Around 1.6 million spectators gathered in Sydney Harbour to witness one of the most stunning pyrotechnic shows in the world.
Fireworks explode over the Selamat Datang Monument in downtown Jakarta as Indonesia welcomes 2018
Thailand overturned a ban on fireworks for a series of stunning New Year displays.
Paris welcomed the New Year with a light and fireworks display on the city’s Arc de Triomphe
Hong Kong welcomes in 2018 with extravagant fireworks
Moscow and Ankara followed with some spectacular scenes in the Russian capital before a number of Eastern European countries, including Hungary, Greece and Ukraine, welcomed 2018.
Lights and fireworks lit up Paris’s Arc de Triomphe and Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate as France and Germany also welcomed in the new year at 11pm UK GMT.
The London Eye erupted in fireworks after Big Ben struck midnight. The sky sparkled with colours of red, blue, pink and green in the city’s largest New Year’s Eve firework display ever.
New York City and the US East Coast celebrated the New Year with its famous ball drop in Times Square at 5am UK GMT.
Fireworks illuminate the sky over the Angel de la Independencia in the New Year’s eve celebration
Fireworks light up the sky during the new year celebrations at the Navy Pier, Chicago
New Year’s Eve celebrations in San Francisco
There was an official reading of zero degrees just as it hit midnight in the Windy City and thousands packed the Navy Pier for the big countdown.In Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas the New Year was celebrated at 8am, as security was tightened in Las Vegas following the deadliest shooting in modern US history just three months ago.
A fireworks display took off from the top of seven of the city’s world famous casino hotels, starting at the Stratosphere and continuing to Venetian, Treasure Island, Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood, Aria and MGM Grand. More than 80,000 pyrotechnic firings that illuminated the sky in gold, red and green.
Hawaii was one among one of the last places to celebrate the New Year at 10am GMT, but it was the residents of Baker Island and Howland Island – the tiny outlying states in the US -which was the last place to celebrate the New Year at 12pm GMT – 12 hours after revellers celebrated the occasion in the UK.
21 Days Till Christmas!
A Great Boss Is Goodd
I lost one of my managers a couple of years ago and I can’t seem to forget him or the legacy he left behind. He was one of my earliest examples of true leadership. I often refer to him as “The Memorable Leader.”
I had a family emergency and before I could finish explaining to him the situation. He said, “And you are still standing here talking to me? Why aren’t you out the door yet? I’ll cover for you.” I smiled then went to my desk, took my belongings and left. Thereafter, he had my full commitment.
Here are five qualities of memorable leaders:
- Integrity & Authenticity go hand in hand. Joseph was honest with employees even though this trait was sometimes unpopular with top management. He often took the slack for his team. If leadership is not authentic, then what is it?
- Humility. True leaders always aim to serve rather than be served. Being humble makes you more approachable to your followers and allows you to create an environment of open communication and more effective feedback.
- Empathy plays a critical role in one’s ability to be a successful leader. It sharpens your “people acumen” and allows leaders to develop and maintain relationships with those they lead. Leaders that possess this trait always make time for people.
- Communication Skills – Great leaders are able to communicate their vision in such a way that motivates their team. They are great communicators; quick to listen and slow to speak. They possess high emotional intelligence (EI).
- Inspirational- Joseph didn’t need a title to get us to complete tasks. He had our full support. Words such as “Good work team,” “You are the best”, “I trust your judgement” were at the top of his dictionary. Team spirit was high during his reign.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams
Managers are forgotten but true leaders live on in the hearts and minds of followers. Sometimes I can still picture Joseph walking through the office, greeting staff on mornings, and might even give me a little nod or pat on the back. Those were the special moments I still hold dear. It doesn’t take much to create those special moments with your team.
Good bosses are few and far in between, but if and when you get one, really appreciate them.
Check out my New Book
This book offers the most comprehensive view of what is taking place in the world of AI and emerging technologies, and gives valuable insights that will allow you to successfully navigate the tsunami of technology that is coming our way.
To Your continued Success!
You Can Eat Your Bread & Lose Weight
How to Eat Bread and Still Lose Weight
Bread lovers, rejoice!
You can eat bread—and still lose weight!
If you’ve ever gone on a diet, you know bread is usually on the list of foods you shouldn’t even think about eating. That’s because bread is generally perceived as fattening.
But if you’re like me, you don’t want to give up bread in order to be thin. I love to have a toasted slice topped with half a mashed avocado and a bit of garlic salt. So yummy! I eat that almost every day with either breakfast or lunch.
So what’s the trick to eating bread and not gaining weight?
You simply have to know which breads are best for weight loss. After all, not all breads are created equal. Research shows that refined, white-flour breads are associated with weight gain and belly fat—but whole grain breads can actually help with weight loss.
I’ll recommend specific breads for you to try, but before I do, here are some general guidelines that can be helpful for you, since different stores carry different brands.
How to Tell if a Bread is Good for Weight Loss
So, white bread is bad, and wheat bread is good, right? Well, not exactly, because wheat bread is just a misleading name for white bread. Instead of looking for something simply labeled1 “wheat,” you want to go for bread that is whole wheat or whole grain. White breads often try to masquerade as whole wheat or whole grain breads, so it’s easy to get fooled by brown tinted bags, pictures of waving wheat, or healthy-sounding words, like “natural” or “multigrain.”
Slick marketing tactics can make you think you’re buying something healthier than it really is. To make sure you don’t get tricked, here are some foolproof guidelines that will make you a savvy shopper for weight-loss-f3riendly breads:
- The bread should say “100% whole grain” or “100% whole wheat” (or both) on the front of the package.
- One slice should have at least 3 grams of fiber.
- One slice should have no more than 3 grams of sugar.
- There should be no hydrogenated oils2, high fructose corn syrup, or artificial sweeteners in the ingredient list.
The 3 Best Breads for Losing Weight
This brand is the best of the best because:
- All the ingredients are organic.
- The bread is sugar free.
- All the grains are sprouted whole grains, which increases the nutritional content and helps keep blood sugars lower.
- In addition to the sprouted whole grains, the bread contains two types of sprouted beans, which increases the protein content and also helps keep blood sugars lower.
- This bread is excellent for pre-diabetics, diabetics, or anyone who wants to keep their blood sugars lower.
Look for this bread in the freezer section of your grocery store and in health food stores.
These breads earned a worthy second place, because:
- They are non-GMO and vegan.
- They are made with organic sprouted whole grains.
- All breads have at least 3 grams of fiber per slice, but most have 4 or 5 grams
- All breads have only 1 or 2 grams of sugar per slice.
Look for it in the healthy bread section of progressive grocery stores, at health food stores, and Aldi.
Rounding off the top-three list, this bread has a number of things going for it:
- There’s no misleading labeling. This bread is exactly what it says it is: 100 percent whole wheat flour.
- Free of high fructose corn syrup, it stays within the guidelines of 3 grams of sugar (or less) per slice.
- Each slice of bread has 3 grams of fiber—enough to rank as a gold-star weight-loss bread.
Other “Honorable Mention” Breads That Are Worth Trying
If you’re not able to find the breads listed above at your local grocery store, here are some honorable mentions you might want to try. Though much better than white breads, these brands have less fiber than the top three in the previous list, making them slightly less effective for weight loss.
How Much Bread Can I Eat and Still Lose Weight?
Remember, no matter what kind of bread you eat, you still don’t want to fill your plate with it. All bread, even whole grain bread, is a processed food, not a natural fiber food, like fruits, veggies or beans. That means bread should be limited to 25 percent of your plate.
We recommend having no more than one slice a day.
Since sandwiches generally require two slices of bread, we encourage you to give open-faced sandwiches a try.
Check out these open-faced sandwich ideas:Avocado Sandwich
Bread is Back on the Menu
You can enjoy bread and still lose weight, as long as you follow the simple guidelines above. I know it works, because I follow these guidelines myself. Most days of the week, I enjoy a slice of whole grain bread, while the rest of my plate is piled with scrumptious, satisfying, natural fiber foods.
No doubt, many other breads out there meet our best-breads criteria, but I couldn’t find them at our local grocery stores here in Ardmore, Oklahoma. So if you discover a winning bread in your neck of the woods, please share it with me. I know our readers will appreciate it as well.
Inhaling Delhi Air is Like Smoking!
Breathing in Delhi air equivalent to smoking 44 cigarettes a day
New Delhi (CNN)It was early on Tuesday morning when residents in the Indian capital of Delhi first began to notice the thick white haze that had descended across the city.
Happy Veterans Day!
Happy Veterans Day!